Engineering Manager @ BrowserStack
email [email protected]
Not looking for jobs actively.
I've over nine years of experience working as a software developer, primarily focusing on the Frontend tech and have a strong grasp of the Backend tech as well.
One of the most popular apps I've ever built is JSONBin.io which caters to thousands of users and serving over five million users a month.
I often keep my self up-to-date with the latest technology trends and recently, I've explored Astro.
I usually prefer VueJS for Frontend development but I have fair experience working with ReactJS too. (lately, loving it, post they introduced React Hooks)
I often fiddle with Figma & AdobeXD in my free time. But I won't call myself a designer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
<!-- skill set :p
I strongly believe in collaboration and communication. These skills enable me to execute the projects in the best way possible, by keeping all the stakeholders up-to-date. I also have keen interest in the Product Management and Product <> Design discussions.
Apart from the above, I'm pro ownership and take full responsibility of the work assigned to me. I focus primarily on prioritization and take analytical driven approach which helps me take timely actions on the important things first.
(O_O) work exp
BrowserStack // 2015 - Current
Engineering Manager ➜ 2019 - Current
This is one of the most challenging roles I've ever worked upon at BrowserStack. While it is challenging, it is equally rewarding in terms of the amount of experience I've gained by facing various situations in terms of people, work, hiring, and managing the team in general.
I realized how important some of the skills are, like, Planning, Execution, and Leadership in general apart from the Tech Knowledge.
Apart from the Frontend team, I also started managing the Audit Tools team at BrowserStack where I primarily handled the Speedlab product of BrowserStack which is used for Web Page Performance testing.
My contributions were not only limited to managing people but also contributing towards developing the NodeJs App in the right way, upgrading our existing systems in the Speedlab based on the latest trends.
- Drafted various processes around development, hiring, code reviews, etc.
- Responsible for taking various architectural level decisions. We had started migrating our legacy jQuery based codebase to ReactJS.
- Streamlining processes across teams and within teams to ensure smooth and quick deliveries.
- Frequent discussions with the squad EMs to understand the Frontend requirements and helping them with appropriate plans.
- Actively take part in various Feature grooming sessions, retros, etc.
- Taking people reviews, sharing constructive feedback, and responsible for their career progression.
- I also take part in various Quarterly and Half-Yearly business review meetings where I was responsible for estimating dev bandwidth, doing quick POC of a few open-ended items in the Frontend, etc.
Lead Engineer ➜ 2018 - 2019
I started leading the Frontend team as we started scaling. I was responsible for various Frontend related initatives as well as hiring. Apart from leading the Frontend team, I was also responsible to lead the tech front in two other teams which were Systems and Growth teams at BrowserStack.
- Responsible for Hiring developers in the Frontend, drafting assignments for every round and evaluating them based on tech and other soft skills.
- Leading the WordPress team which was a newly created team to manage the BrowserStack website which we had ported to WordPress.
- Responsible for taking architectural level decisions, deciding the tech stack, etc.
- Owned several projects and ensured timely deliveries of these projects across the teams from the Frontend perspective.
- While working in the Systems team, I had introduced GTM (Google Tag Manager) to enable Marketing & Product folks to modify the Analytics of our website and products without engineering intervention.
- I also initiated a project for self-serve WordPress where we enabled several Marketing & Growth individuals who could then make any changes on the website without any engineering intervention.
- I developed various experiments while working with the Growth team, where one of the experiments I worked upon was a Pricing related feature where users could toggle between Annual and Monthly prices, did various other workflow related changes before I started focusing completely on the Frontend.
Senior Software Developer ➜ 2017 - 2018
As a Senior Software Developer, I contributed towards development of new App Products of BrowserStack, App Live & App Automate. Some of my major contributions here are:
- Kick-started App Live project by contributing towards development of the Dashboard.
- Developed App Automate Dashboard, worked on other backend initatives like Multi-Database setup, changes on the Hub modules and App Uploader (ain't sure about the App Uploader bit though)
- Worked closely with the Co-Founder of the company on several in-house systems for internal use.
- Dealt with the third-party vendors for executing the WordPress project to port all the Marketing pages to WordPress.
- I was closely involved in various projects and often suggested various feature related changes as well as workflow changes which may be apt for our users.
- Started to learn the business more, tried to understand the end-user better which helped me develop and recommend the best flows to the Product Managers and the Designers.
- Was often involved in various Design level discussions to enhance the user experience and from the usability standpoint.
Software Developer ➜ 2015 - 2017
I joined BrowserStack as a Frontend developer but soon, I started working on other technologies like Rails & RoR as well. As an SDE, I worked in three different teams (RailsApp, Web, Live and App Live teams) where I worked on some of the major projects in BrowserStack, here are a few to name:
- BrowserStack Website Redesign
- Supporting Live for IE 8 (this was really challenging back then)
- Pricing v3 & Custom Plans
- Migrating BrowserListing from Mustache to HandleBars as well as re-writing the BrowserListing API in Live.
- Working on various experiments in the Live Product
- Introduced Sentry.io, we didn't use any JS Monitoring service prior to the above.
- Migrated from deprecated Bootstrap, Bourbon and Grunt to Gulp and Custom Grid System which was way more smaller and performant than Bootstrap.
Freelancing // 2014 - 15
I had resigned from my very first job because of some health related issues and I took a break for a year to recover. While I was working from my home, I started focusing on some of the Freelancing projects I received via several referrals from Friends and Colleagues.
- Developed various websites using WordPress & Joomla.
- Primarily focused on migrating various PHP systems from mysql_* to PDO
- Built a custom System on HIPAA Compliance for a client in the US.
- Developed multiple Chrome Extension, where one of the Chrome Extension was sold to an Angel Investor in Spain.
Neel Networks Pvt. Ltd. // 2013 - 14
Lead Software Engineer
This was my very first job where I was hired based on a Custom ERP System I had developed on PHP which was more or less a PHP ERP Framework which could host over 100s of custom systems and could act as a backend for any website.
I was one of the first devs to join the company and over the next few months, I scaled the team to over 15 developers before I left due to medical reasons.
I used to handle end-to-end operations for them, in terms of developing projects, planning, executing them, speaking with overseas clients and much more.
- I used to develop static and dynamic websites and used to deliver these projects within a day.
- Agressively learnt to be hands-on on various Frontend & Backend tech. Apart from that, I also tried my hands on basic design skills and working with Photoshop.
- Built an end-to-end Marriage portal from scratch using core PHP & MySQL (no other frameworks were used here). It hosted over thousands of user profiles with a custom Admin Panel with various features which allowed Admin to feature a profile, edit profiles, update photos etc, while some of these controls were also available to the users on registration.
I've done my B.Com (Major in Finance) from Malini Kishor Sanghvi College of Commerce and Economics.
I was interested in programming since school days but I never got an opportunity to learn. Post my graduation, I decided to pursue my passion in programming and entered the world of www development.
I have several hobbies, like collecting Hotwheels, Photography, Gaming (I play a lot of games) and sometimes, I prefer reading comic books (non-superhero)
Apart from that, lately, I've found a new love of going for long drives which I wish to continue for several more years.
Overall, I am really passionate about tech. I love to develop useful and meaningful apps which eventually I use them as a sandbox to learn other important technologies. ✌🏼